Thursday, July 07, 2005

Trees

Trees are the most gentle and amiable of creatures. They grow mostly wherever they can and sometimes oblige humans by growing in rows. Outstanding. I love all sorts of trees however my favourites are big ones. The street overlooked by my balcony is also an avenue of large oaks. They are probably about 60 or 70 years old, quite young really as I have seen oaks much larger than they. Canberra is a fantastic place for trees. Autumn is particularly beautiful and sadly I missed the full splendour of it however there is always next year.

I need to tell you about one particularly obliging beauty. I have started riding a bike again since returning to Canberra. Yay! It just seemed absurd to try and ride a bike in Sydney. It was not a friendly city in that way, although a number of brave souls would ride there. They would love Canberra.

One of my particular rides takes me from the city (where I am currently staying) to the northern suburb of Dickson which is where my post office box is. Part of my route is along a footpath. (I must warn you I am being side-tracked, not only by my own discourse but, by breaking news of some blasts in London where my sister-in-law currently lives). In the front garden of a house along the way there is a large tree next to the footpath. One of it's branches grows directly out into the path at head height for a bike rider. Bummer. It would never have occurred to me to do anything other than duck my head, however it did occur to someone in the dim past to cut the offending limb off at the point where it intersected the path. In response the obliging creature regrew the shortened limb but with one minor adjustment. The new limb arced over the path before resuming it's life's passage. Now one rides the path safely and briefly passes under a living arch. Truly outstanding. I hope when I get my digital camera out of storage to provide a photo.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bruce,
Have just read your blog. Very nice, think I'll add it to my faves. You are so right about trees. Though, in my part of the world I don't think you can top a majestic old gum. One that not even our tree lopping forefathers could bring themselves to take down, standing sentinal in the centre of a paddock. These frosty mornings, with the mist rising all round, stunning.

1:16 am  
Blogger Bruce said...

Hi Sassy. If it was in my power I would name a tree after you. Your comment brought back memories from my childhood on the farm in Tamworth. We had a number of large gums standing alone in paddocks along the river flats. I know I was drawn to them because when I first started photographing things they were among my first subjects; shitty though my first exposures were.

8:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home